Syllabus for Drawing and Painting 1
Students will experience visual awareness and perceptual skills through drawing and painting assignments. Encourages exploration of individual components of the visual arts through the introduction of basic concepts and media in drawing and painting.In this course, students begin to explore a variety of subject matters and themes including still life,nature, landscape, and the human form. Students work from observation and from photographicsources. They will begin to explore a variety of medium including the use of graphite, coloredpencil, pen & ink, watercolor, and acrylic paint. Students will study the work of accomplishedartists, good design practices, composition, and art history as it relates to the lesson.
Student Learning Outcomes:
After successful completion of this course students will be able to:
1. Create images using drawing and painting to explore visual concepts and personal artistic expressions.
2. Analyze, interpret, and discuss two dimensional work from various time periods.
3. Apply analytical and constructive approaches to class activities and critiques.
4. Demonstrate the value of an active sketchbook/journal for continuous entries for personal growth.
5. Create drawings and painting expressing familiarity with media, perspective and positive/negative
6. Utilize texture, value, balance, and unity in their compositions.
7. Display understanding of effective compositions expressing familiarity with assigned elements and
principles of design.
8. Create assigned drawings and paintings and be evaluated.
9. Participate in critiques of assignments by contributing commentary on visual analysis of
technique and composition.
10. Self select projects for inclusion in portfolio.
- Direct observation drawings
- Drawings and paintings focusing on the elements and principles of art
- Use of value and reverse value
- Use of a gamut of drawing and paint media
- Investigate the history two dimensional artwork
- Vocabulary associated with drawing and painting
ALL FINISHED DRAWINGS AND PAINTING ARE BASED ON STATED CRITERIA FOR EACH PROJECT
ALL PROJECTS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED ON TIME TO AVOID LATE PENALTIES
ATTENDANCE WILL BE RECORDED DAILY
SEE CODE OF CONDUCT PG. 10-12
Students are expected to be punctual, courteous, honest and focused. First infraction: discucssion between teacher and student, second infraction:Parent phone call, Third infraction: detention assigned