8th Grade Mathematics/Statistics
Allegany-Limestone Central School
Hello, I am Mister Mummery and I will be your mathematics teacher this year. I am excited to explore mathematics through a number of different media, from pencil and paper, to websites and applications. I enjoy running, hiking, and exploring music and film.
8th Grade Math Syllabus
The 8th Grade Math Curriculum aligns with the New York State Common Core Standards. In this math course, we focus on five critical topics:
The Number System (NS)
Expressions, Equations, and Inequalities
Statistics and Probability
I have supplies for our daily use in our classroom. Some supplies that are recommended to come to class with are:
Students will be offered a TI-30XIIS calculator with an agreement to be signed by their legal guardian.
There will be math assignments given each week. Students will be given the assignments throughout the week and they have until that Friday to complete them. We will often go over homework assignments throughout the week, especially if students have specific problems they want to go over. Students will have the opportunity to go over homework with me as a class and fix mistakes before turning it in on Friday.
Most importantly, students are expected to complete their homework with little to no help. Homework is meant to help me see what students are struggling with.
Homework will be posted on Microsoft teams and can be readily available to parents via email as well.
LATE WORK POLICY
All assignments are due on Friday the week they are assigned, unless otherwise instructed. It is good to attempt homework the night it is given to remain well equipped for the next day’s lesson.
Receive a 5% deduction from the maximum possible grade if handed in on Monday (the soonest possible late day). Assignments handed in Tuesday-Friday the week after they are due will receive a 10% deduction.
I am always willing to make arrangements about an assignment. If homework is becoming an issue, we will address it.
In the event of an absence, it is the students’ responsibility to ask me for any missed assignment.
Assignments will be posted on Microsoft Teams.
If a student is absent the day an assignment is due, they must turn the assignment in the day they return to school.
In an effort to keep things simple, I have developed 5 basic classroom rules for maintaining a positive learning environment.
Come to class on time and prepared with a positive attitude.
Be respectful of the rights, property, and feelings of others.
Follow directions the first time they are given.
One person speaks at a time.
Raise your hand to speak.
Good behavior will be rewarded. My classroom needs to be one of respect for us to succeed.
*Note that all students are also expected to adhere to the academic code of conduct provided by the school.
If You Choose To Break A Rule
For each rule infraction, the consequences will vary. Excessive rule infractions will result in a report to the principal and/or the student’s legal guardian.
8th Grade Math Grading Policy
High School Statistics Syllabus/Grading Policy
- Students are required to follow the ALCS Code of Conduct at all times.
- Cellphones are not to be used during class time. Only water bottles/thermos are allowed.
- Due to our year with Covid-19, if you under quarantine, students are still expected to log into MS Teams and participate in class as much as possible.
- Calculators may be loaned out to students. The calculator used is the TI-nspire CX.
- Students are required to bring the TI-nspire CX calculator, a binder, notebook paper, laptop, and their textbook to class every day.
- Success in this course can be found by doing the following:
Be on time, be respectful, do your own work and get it done on time, and don’t make excuses.
- Classwork/Homework: Some assignments can be completed in class during work days. If you do not use your time wisely or you are absent, assignments will need to be completed outside of class. A homework average will be taken at the end of the quarter based on completed assignments.
- Chapter Projects: These will be assigned at the end of each chapter. They will be used as a review for the chapter test but will also be graded.
- Chapter Quizzes: Quizzes will be announced and will be given periodically. All quizzes will be taken in class. If you are absent or in quarantine, you are expected to take it when you come back to school.
- Chapter Tests: Tests will be given at the end of every chapter. If you are absent or in quarantine, you are expected to take it when you come back to school.
- Quarter Grade:
15% (HW average) + 15% (Quiz average) + 30% (Project average) + 40% (Test average)
- Textbook: Elementary Statistics – A Step By Step Approach 9th Edition
- Chapter 1 The Nature of Probability and Statistics
- Descriptive and Inferential Statistics
- Variables and Types of Data
- Data Collection and Sampling Techniques
- Experimental Design
- Computers and Calculators
- Chapter 2 Frequency Distributions and Graphs
2.1 Organizing Data
2.2 Histograms, Frequency Polygons, and Ogives
2.3 Other Types of Graphs
- Chapter 3 Data Description
3.1 Measures of Central Tendency
3.2 Measures of Variations
3.3 Measures of Position
3.4 Exploratory Data Analysis
- Chapter 4 Probability and Counting Rules
4.1 Sample Spaces and Probability
4.2 The Addition Rules for Probability
4.3 The Multiplication Rules and Conditional Probability
4.4 Counting Rules
4.5 Probability and Counting Rules
- Chapter 5 Discrete Probability Distributions
5.1 Probability Distributions
5.2 Mean, Variance, Standard Deviation, and Expectation
5.3 The Binomial Distribution
5.4 Other Types of Distributions
- Chapter 6 The Normal Distribution
6.1 Normal Distributions
6.2 Applications of the Normal Distribution
6.3 The Central Limit Theorem
6.4 The Normal Approximation to the Binomial Distribution
- Chapter 7 Confidence Intervals and Sample Size
7.1 Confidence Intervals for the mean when σ is known
7.2 Confidence Intervals for the mean when σ is unknown
7.3 Confidence Intervals and Sample Size for Proportions
7.4 Confidence Intervals for Variances and Standard Deviations
- Chapter 8 Hypothesis Testing
8.1 Steps in Hypothesis Testing – Traditional Method
8.2 z-Test for a Mean
8.3 t-Test for a Mean
8.4 z-Test for a Proportion
8th Grade Mathematics
School Phone Number: 716-375-6600 Ext. 2270